...In-between sets from poet Cynthia Schwartzberg Edlow

January 15, 2018

Wilser's Backstory Forthcoming....

Trying to work my way into the first paragraph of any composition has always been the most difficult. I turn the thing over like I'm churning butter.
"Timing is Everything" -- a statement zapped at me when I worked one summer during college at a bank, spoken by the personal assistant to the president and owner of the bank. She was my mother's age. As soon as she said it, I knew I'd be chasing those words to make up missed or lazy steps my entire life, and I have. So every opportunity offered me I generally take, unless other factors have intervened. 
Christal Rice Cooper asked me to participate in her blog series, initiated December, 2014, called "Backstory Of The Poem.It may not be Motionpoems, or Kaveh Akbar's fabulous interview web series either, but it was one thing: it was offered and it came to me without me hunting it down. Don't we all know what that means? 
So I'm deciding not only will I participate, wholeheartedly, and happily, (in addition to taking on yet a second poetry-related essay request by another online source) but I am going to do the best job I can. First, by signing on to my own blog reportage-style. Second, by stating point-of-fact which poem I will drawing backstory from: to wit, "Wilser Lopez Would Like You," originally published in PLUME, April, 2016. 
Third, by offering never-before-seen illustrations drawn by the gifted illustrator Mike Edholm. I love to show drawing process, if I can and if given allowance, so, proceeding below~
Illustration 1: Mike Edholm

Illustration 2: Mike Edholm
Illustration 3: Mike Edholm

Stay tuned here for when the backstory is published on Cristal's blog. I'll let you all know!

No comments:

Post a Comment